At approximately 11:37am the East Greenbush Fire Department was transmitted for an odor of
natural gas inside the building of a medical facility. Shortly after the alarm was transmitted
East Greenbush Car 1 arrived and alerted the first due Engine of a significant odor inside of
the lobby. Car 1 began the evacuation process and shortly after Engine 7 arrived with a crew of
5 under the command of Captain M. Benson Jr. whom assumed Operations. Truck 11, Engine 9 and
Rescue 11 arrived on scene along with Castleton Ambulance whom transported one female patient.
After checking both floors of the building it was learned the odor was concentrated to the
west side of the building and the second floor. The crews along with National Grid determined
the odor was from a natural gas furnace in one of the medical offices and was later learned
the natural gas valve was stuck in the open position. Once the building was vented all EGFD
was back in service after approximately 1 ½ hours.