Home           History         Apparatus         Explorer Post 11         Photos           Scholarship         Hall/Pavillion Rental          

Links         Training Links         Schodack Center F.D.           Directory           MembersArea           Membership Application Form          

5/16/2016 Elevator Rescue, and Brush Fire caused by electrical issues by Greg Forgea
        Late Monday morning, East Greenbush was dispatched for a reported elevator rescue with three people trapped. Car 4 arrived, made contact with the victims, and confirmed that nobody was injured or in need of EMS. While making contact with the victims, Car 4 was approached by other occupants of the building reporting an odor of smoke and problems with the lights in the building. With the new information, Car 4 requested the alarm to be re-transmitted with a structure fire assignment. Truck 11, Engines 7 and 8 as well as Rescue 11 operated on scene for over two hours. The victims in the elevator were removed to the second floor and escorted out of the building. The building and roof units were searched and nothing found. National Grid arrived and found a power problem coming into the building and killed power to the building. The scene was turned over to National Grid and building management and all East Greenbush units were secured.
       Again, after returning to quarters, EGFD was dispatched for a reported brush fire in the area of the Target store. East Greenbush police arrived and found a downed power line with a small brush fire. While units were en route, a second call came in for a reported structure fire in the same area as the brush fire. Engine 7 handled the power line down while truck 11, Engine 8 and Rescue 11 handled the structure fire call. Engine 7 secured the area and awaited the arrival of National Grid to secure the downed line. The other units searched the building and the call was unfounded. It is believed that the power surge from the downed line set off the alarm and the wind blew the brush smoke into the building. All units were cleared from both scenes an hour after arriving.