Home           History         Apparatus         Explorer Post 11         Photos           Scholarship         Hall/Pavillion Rental          

Links         Training Links         Schodack Center F.D.           Directory           MembersArea           Membership Application Form          

6/11/2021 EGFD Members make quick work of afternoon fire on Columbia Turnpike. By Greg Forgea
       At approximately 12:30PM on Friday, June 11th, the East Greenbush Fire Department was dispatched for a reported structure fire at a large commercial restaurant on Columbia Turnpike. Car 2 (Forgea) called enroute and was advised by East Greenbush Communications that they had received multiple calls and an off-duty firefighter on scene reported a working fire. With the updated information, a working fire was dispatched.
       Car 2 (Forgea) arrived and took command, reporting an active fire in the kitchen with extension to the attic and roof. Engine 9 arrived, positioned in the rear of the building, pulled a 150' attack line into the kitchen, and began knocking down the visible fire. Engine 7 arrived and took second due responsibilities, securing a water source and sending manpower to the rear to assist with fire suppression. Truck 11 took position on the bravo side of the building, threw ground ladders, positioned the arial to the roof, vented the roof and checked for extension. The crews from Engine 8 and Rescue 11 were used for fire suppression and overhaul. Members of the Fire Police squad utilized Utility 11 and assisted with traffic on the busy Columbia Turnpike.
       The fire was quickly knocked down utilizing two 1 3/4 attack lines. The fire was placed under control 30 minutes after arrival, however crews chased hotspots for over an hour.
       Units operating on scene were Car 2, Engines 7, 8, 9, Truck 11, Rescue 11, Utility 11, EGPD, Bruen Rescue Squad, Rensselaer County Bureau of Public Safety, Rensselaer County Fire Investigators, Town of East Greenbush Building Department, Rensselaer County Health Department, and National Grid.
       All crews were picked up and back in quarters by 2:30 pm. . No injuries were reported, and the fire is currently under investigation.